In this time of falling government revenue, there is a lot of focus on tax compliance by various tax authorities.
The law establishing the FIRS, the Federal Inland Revenue Service (Establishment) Act, prescribes interest rate for late or non payment of tax at CBN Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) plus a spread (additional rate) to be announced by the Finance Minister.
The FIRS has issued a Public Notice informing all taxpayers, especially non resident companies carrying on business in Nigeria, to submit full income tax returns as required by law.
Generally the FIRS would seek to use the higher of the OSP and the RP for tax assessments.
The court came to the conclusion that the taxpayer’s reliance on the advice received was reasonable and therefore directed that the Commissioner should waive the section 89quat interest in full.
As of 1 April 2014 the Income Tax Act 58 of 1962 (the Act) was amended to regulate “hybrid debt instruments” more closely.
Shearman & Sterling LLP
The much anticipated Decree Law for Offshore Areas 1 and 4 was published on 2 December 2014 (Decree Law No. 2/2014).
These changes will not apply to the mining of industrial minerals such as lime, sand and gravel.
Africa: Various tax related updates
More from AfricaMore posts in Africa »
- SARS starts to target buyers of luxury goods
- SARS – Being Audited or Selected for Verification
- Another TP tax dispute argued before the Tax Board in Tanzania won for our client
- Transfer pricing in a nutshell: Nigeria
- SARS is circulating a section 46 of the Tax Administration Act, 2011 request for relevant material to many multinationals requesting information about their intra-group services.